Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"Say yes and you'll figure it out afterwards"




To be honest I never understood that saying, I always believe that someone shouldn't take on more than what they could handle cause that often leads to sloppy and late work. It wasn't until I went through it myself that I finally understood what the quote was saying. 

Good opportunities and good timing don't always go hand in hand. So if the right opportunity comes up, say yes and I know you'll be able to figure it out afterwards !

My example

A few months ago I found out that if I were to take a summer semester this year I would be able to graduate Spring 2014. At the time I was in the middle of my third year and ecstatic to finally see the end. After I choosing my courses, I realized that I only had to be at school one day a week meaning I still had 6 days a week of summer.
Two weeks before classes started, one of the Marketing Coordinators at my office quit. My Marketing director was in a scramble to replace her and everyone in the office said that I should ask for the position. Although I did think about it, I honestly didn't even think I would be considered, I barely had any graphic design skills nor did I have a marketing background and besides everyone knew I had only one more year left of school let and I already paid my tuition.

But to my surprise my Marketing Director asked me if I was interested in help them out until they were able to find someone else and before even giving it a second thought I said yes because it was an amazing opportunity (and I also have a hard time saying no).

Before I knew it I was acting as the temporary marketing coordinator, doing everything from designing advertisements to help planning events. 

It was the best and worst 3 months of my working here. It was the best because I got to experience what a 'Big Girl' job was and I finally found something I thoroughly loved and enjoyed to do. It was the worst because I still had school, I took 3 upper division class that semester (12 credits) and that meant 3 course filled with exams, readings, papers and projects on top of my new responsibilities at work

 Between 45+ hours a week of work and 3 courses times were hard and sleep was minimum. But I made it through and as cheesy as it sounds, I wouldn't change a thing. I learned a grew so much as a person during the past 3 months and now I have a clearly idea of my future.

So just "say 'yes' and figure it out afterwards"




No comments:

Post a Comment